Vision Statement and Philosophical Statement of Purpose
“Our vision is to live in a peaceful society, without fear of violence, to have freedom of choices, where people are equally valued. We begin by valuing ourselves.”
WHEREAS, we believe it is everyone’s human right to live without fear of physical or emotional abuse.
WHEREAS, we believe that all people have the right to decide for themselves the direction of their lives according to their own values and needs.
WHEREAS, we believe that women in our society, when relieved from the pressure of an abusive home environment, and given the opportunity and encouragement, can develop their full potential to live a full and rich life.
Therefore, we propose the following:
- To provide a safe and secure refuge for women and their children who have been physically, sexually or emotionally assaulted, threatened or harassed.
- This refuge is to include temporary accommodation, food, and other necessities on an emergency basis and is to be provided to women with or without their children.
- To offer crisis and supportive counseling so that a woman may gain a perspective on her situation and consider alternatives and options.
- To recognize and support a woman’s right to make her own decisions.
- To offer practical support, advocacy and information so that women can make realistic plans about themselves.
- To provide information and education for community and professional groups and agencies on issues associated with violence against women.
- To contribute to the community’s understanding of the issues of violence against women and to assist with public efforts to prevent and reduce violence against women and children.
- To provide appropriate referrals and establish contact with community agencies and resources.
- To respect a woman’s right to her faith, spirituality, sexuality, and culture.
- To provide all of the above in a non-judgmental, non-proselytizing way from a feminist perspective.